Rapid Antidepressant Actions of Special K. Toward a New Pharmacotherapy of Depression
Edward Domino, M.S., M.D.
Current antidepressant medications work, but not for everyone. Also, when the medications do work, it can take a month or more for patients to experience a significant antidepressant effect. However, there is hope for those that need a fast-acting alternative. In this video, Edward Domino, M.S., M.D. provides an overview of a substance known as ketamine (street name: “Special K”) and how it is used to treat depression. He describes the pros and cons of using ketamine as an antidepressant and suggests future directions researchers might take to improve its therapeutic effectiveness.
• Berman et al. Antidepressant effects of ketamine in depressed patients. Biol Psychiatry. 2000; 15;47(4):351-4. Retrieved from http://ketamineinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Antidepressant-Effects-of-Ketamine-in-Depressed-Patients-Berman-2000.pdf
• Zarate et al. A randomized trial of an N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist in treatment-resistant major depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63(8):856-64. Retrieved from https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/668195
• Domino et al. Taming the ketamine tiger. classic papers revisited. Anesthesiology 2010; 113(3): 678-686. Retrieved from http://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1933174
• Hasslemann et al. Ketamine as antidepressant? Current state and future perspectives. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2014; 12(1):57-70. Retrieved from http://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/ben/cn/2014/00000012/00000001/art00006?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf
• Sanacora et al. A Consensus Statement on the Use of Ketamine in the Treatment of Mood Disorders. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74(4):399-405.
• Domino EF (ed): Status of Ketamine in Anesthesiology (Ann Arbor, MI: NPP Books, 1990), pp. 1603. Retrieved from https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2605202
• Jansen K. Ketamine: Dreams and Realities. Sarasota, FL : Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. 2001. ISBN-10: 0966001974. Retrieved from
• Yew DT. Ketamine: Use and Abuse. Published by CRC Press, NY. 2015. ISBN: 9781466583399
Domino Lab https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/efdabcde/
ResearchGate: Edward F. Domino https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Edward_Domino
Michigan Video Abstracts:
Learn more about biomedical research and scholarship taking place at the University of Michigan in Michigan Video Abstracts – http://www.med.umich.edu/mva